Monday, June 14, 2010

Circuit Training

I am kind of all over the place right now with my training. I am really enjoying lifting, running, and cycling, which is a really good thing since I have a tendency to over run. Though I am far from the best running shape I have ever been in I am probably pretty close to the best overall shape I have ever been in.

My lifting, until yesterday, has been completely upper body. This has been very intentional because I started lifting to get some exercise while giving my legs, i.e. my knee, a break. However, I really think that to get my knee back to one 100% and to keep this from happening again I really need to strengthen my legs all around more. I started looking for a really good circuit weight training exercise and I came across one on the Men’s Health website.

I gave it a try last night and instantly gained some respect for it. It is 10 exercises done for 60 seconds, with 15 sec rest between each. This then is repeated 3 times resting only 2 minutes between circuits. I did one circuit and stopped after becoming nervous about how my knee was going to take it. Almost every exercise involves a squat or lounge like movement coupled with upper body work. It really felt like a great mix of cardio and weight training and it definitely targeted parts of my legs that are not worked while cycling or running.

The only things you need to perform this workout are some dumbbells. Ideally I would do it with several different sets. Probably like 15 lbs, 30 lbs, 45 lbs, and 60 lbs. I however only have 30 lbs., so I will be getting creative. I hope to incorporate this into my workouts once a week.

2 comments:

EZEthan said...

I saw that workout mentioned on a different blog too... it looks excellent! A lot of core workouts focus too much on core and body weight exercises for me... a lot of weight workouts focus too much on isolated heavy weight lifting... this workout seems to be the perfcect combination of both!

Mel Loughery said...

Glad to see you are back out there running, exercising, and blogging! I look forward to reading about how you progress. Just listen to your body....I've been down that injury path before and it's tough and knocks you out mentally, but you are doing great and it sounds like you have a good plan in place to keep it going!