Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Earning My Stripes Back

Cold, wet, slippery... Redemption!!

Once again I am officially “A Runner” (see yesterday’s post for further explanation)

Here in Ohio, we received about 5 inches of snow yesterday. While watching television last night, my wife noticed that the gym I have been going to was not going to open until 8:00 AM. Pretty ironic since I go to the gym to avoid the bad weather. So, I knew I would be running outside in the morning.

My alarm went off at 5:30 and I snoozed until 5:54, waking my poor loving wife up every time it went off. I got out of bed and went to the computer to check the weather...raining and 24 degrees, but only 5 mph winds. I thought when it was below freezing it isn't supposed to rain, I guess not. Equipped with a waterproof jacket and waterproof shoes, I stepped out into the torment. The rain compacted the snow to more like 2 or 3 inches and it had created a layer of ice on top. Everything was shinny and white. The street however just looked like a solid layer of ice with a nice glaze of rain on top.

I struggled to maintain my footing as I inched down the driveway not sure how this was going to turn out. I stepped out onto the road and the run began. Every step was a carefully calculated effort. When shoving off from each step my foot would slide out and kick up higher then intended, something I could not help and something that required much exertion. Quickly into my run, I came upon my first hill. Running uphill on ice is very difficult. I did my best to find tire tracks for extra traction but even the tracks were slippery, and they were very uneven which was also concerning. I did not want a sprained ankle.
Already wearing down, I struggled to gain some kind of rhythm. I reached a sharp turn about 1/2 mile into the run. I took it easy around the turn and twice had to throw my arms up and bend my knees to regain footing. I could not believe that I remained upright. I rounded the first mile and looked down at my watch, 8:52. Pretty slow but I didn’t think it was too bad given the circumstances.

About to reach the 2 mile marker, I came upon another sharp turn. This time I was not as successful. I went down. However, I must say it was pretty graceful. Only my hands hit the ground and I never stopped moving.

The rain was starting to make the run easier. The roads were becoming more of a slush and traction was easier to come by. The problem now was the puddles. The car tracks where I was running were far less slippery then the rest of the road but they had become a pool for the rain. At times I was running in 1 or 2 inches of water. My shoes were waterproof but my socks weren’t. The water was splashing up onto my socks and tights and draining down into my shoes. My shoes in turn were bricks of water. Next the rain turned into sleet, which hurt as it pounded on my almost frozen cheeks and chin.


Today's Run: 5 miles--Pace 8:59

2 comments:

Doug said...

you're crazy, man!

Anonymous said...

They sound like challenging running conditions you have there!