Friday, January 30, 2009

WHY RUN

Well, first I would like to start with... WHY NOT?

Pain

The whole premise of running is to push yourself to go further and faster. That means in order to get there, it has to hurt. Every run hurts, some more than others. I used to think the harder I pushed it, the better the workout, hence the multiple injuries I have sustained. I have since learned that there is such a thing as an easy or recovery run which translates to, a run that does not hurt AS bad. There are all kinds of pain; knee pain, back pain, shin pain, arch pain, and achilles pain. There is pain associated with being breathless, heart pounding or side stitches, and cramps.

Less Sleep

In order for me to fit runs in and not miss time with my family, I have to get up early...anywhere between 5:15 and 5:45. Which means I usually get around 6 1/2 hours of sleep. If you read much about running, then you have surely read how important sleep is for recovery. That is just not an option for someone who works, has a wife, two kids, and is training for a marathon. I guess I will catch up on sleep when the kids move out.

Expense

Putting a lot of miles in each week means that shoes don’t last long. Unfortunately, I have also learned that trying to save money and get cheap shoes is not a healthy option. So that means you have to be prepared to shell out a decent amount every 400 miles or so. For me, this means I will go through 1 1/2 pairs just between now and the marathon. Then there is clothing, watches, heart rate monitors, gels, bars, drinks, entry fees, Advil, Dr.’s visits, sports cream, etc.

Discomfort (not to be confused with pain; discomfort is not as intense but very annoying)

Running comes with lots of discomfort. Like right now, under both of my arms I am chaffed from this mornings run, which results in a burning sensation when my arms rub against my body. There is plenty of muscle and joint discomfort. There are blisters. Then there is the discomfort from the weather; cold, windy, hot, rain, and snow.

After all that many people can’t imagine there could be a WHY. Well, I am going to have to try to keep this short because I could get long winded here.

Health benefits

Of course running is good for your heart, lungs, and is a great weight management tool. You sweat out those toxins and clean out your system.

Culture

Runners are great people...really they are. If you have ever been to a race or around many runners you know. They are typically friendly, personable, and encouraging.

Personal Growth

When you know that you have pushed yourself to the limits, there is an overwhelming sense of accomplishment. After a long run in horrible weather, I am on top of the world for the rest of the day. Not long ago, I ran 15 miles in the rain with wind in the low 20 mph range and the mercury was below 40. I wanted to stop several times. I was able to push through and it was such a great feeling, well worth all the agony I dealt with for 2 hours.


To Survive

If you have been running for a while you know what I mean. When I am not running, I am a different person. I don’t have as much energy, I am not as positive, and I worry more. Somehow that time out on the road puts things into perspective, it brings me into life, and just makes life better.

Today’s Run:
8.2 Miles on the treadmill

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Why do you run?!" I have heard that question so often it gets a little annoying. There are so many pros and cons but I think in the end you will gain more out of it, which makes it worth it. You make some great points for and against running. It's nice to see both perspectives.

Lindsay said...

i'm just plain addicted. i can't live without running - i get super grouchy! the benefits far outweigh any "negatives" in my book. great post :)