Thursday, January 29, 2009

It's official


After 6 straight days of running, I took today off. I am ashamed to say it was not a scheduled day off either. I woke up this morning and a little voice in my head was saying, “you have already run 6 straight days and you are tired, just lay back down.” It was too hard to resist. Once I finally did wake up, it was about 15 minutes until the guilt set in. I want to do well in this marathon and I know that is not going to happen if I keep taking days off. It also makes me question my dedication. If I am so dedicated, like I think I am, why do I take unscheduled days off? I was hoping to break 50 miles this week for the first time ever. Well, that is just not going to happen now. I am trying not to get down on myself and hope to run at least the next 76 straight days.

The good news!!...

It’s official. I have signed up and paid for the Flying Pig marathon here in Cincinnati, OH. This time I paid the entry fee and there is no turning back now. Unless I can’t walk, I will complete the marathon, hopefully in less then 3 hours and 10 minutes. My wife and I allow ourselves an allowance each month that is built into our budget. The $60 I paid to run this marathon is a few months worth of that budget for me so I don’t take that lightly. Fortunately, I have been saving up my allowance and hope to run a few shorter races in preparation for the big one.

I having been working to gain readers of this blog, people who will follow me through this journey. So thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment and tell a fellow runner.

Today's Run:
OFF

3 comments:

Doug said...

Good call getting signed up now, so you have to do it. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Good luck to you! I'm also training for the full Pig with my running partner. Three halves under our belt, but no fulls yet. Our time will be dramatically slower than yours though. We've retreated to the treadmill during this snowstorm. Hoping to head out this weekend for 8. Happy running!

Anonymous said...

Good luck Jason! Taking a break is fine. Remember this, you could be over training. That can kill your efforts. Check out Runnersworld.com

Best of luck on your race!

Tim