Tuesday, January 27, 2009

On Being "A Runner"

I can be categorized, described, or labeled as "A Runner". How did this happen, you might ask. Well, I would like to say I earned it and I think I have, but truly I just gave it to myself as so many other people have. You might hear someone say I play basketball, but with running you don't say I run you say, I am a runner. I think it is because of the dedication it takes to be a runner. Keep in mind that I am talking about non-professional athletes here. Someone who plays basketball might be in a league where they play one night a week and maybe they participate in a couple of tournaments each year. To practice, they shoot around occasionally but that is usually the extent of it. When you are a runner, like myself, it means that you get up well before the sun many more days than not and you do this day in and day out all year. You might spend somewhere between 45 minutes to 3 hours a day training. No matter the weather, you are out there pushing your limits. To most people it sounds absurd, but anyone who is a runner understands that running is far better then sleep, being dry, warm, or comfortable.

So began my dilemma. About a month ago, I was running 6 miles, it was 4 degrees outside and the wind chill was -14. I was loving it. The run went well and then I went inside and prepared for work. On my way into work, my foot started seriously hurting so I took my shoe off. Once I took my shoe off, it instantly felt better. To get to my office I had to put my shoe back on and feel the pain again. Once in my office, I slipped off my shoe and sock to see a large bulge under my ankle. It did not look good and I immediately became concerned that I had sustained another overuse injury that would pull me away from my running yet again.

I called the doctor to schedule the first available appointment...Christmas eve. I went in and got an x-ray. The Dr. came in, looked at the x-ray and my foot and said I needed an MRI. He thought I had done something to mess up the tendon in my foot. He also pointed out a cist in my foot and said I might need to have it removed. He did not ask me any questions about the pain and did not test for mobility problems, of which there were none. If I did not have a shoe on, there was no pain. It seemed as though I had no injury, it just looked strange. He prescribed some NSAIDS and said I should schedule the MRI.

After calling my insurance, I discovered that an MRI would cost me at least $800. What?!! I decided to hold off. I wanted to stay in shape so I got a gym membership for 8 weeks hoping I could stay in shape on the elliptical and bike while I recovered. In the meantime, I found out that a local running store had free appointments with a podiatrist. I scheduled the first available. She told me that I was a skinny and bony person and that was just my make up. I had simply irritated the bone (which the other Dr. said was not a bone but a tendon) that sticks out and would need to adjust my footwear accordingly. The next day I ran 6 miles. That was almost 2 weeks ago and I am still pain free. I sure am glad I did not go for the MRI.

The dilemma comes with the definition of "A Runner". Since I hold that title there are certain things I must abide by. In my opinion, running on a tread mill in a controlled environment watching a movie is not really being, "A Runner". But...it has been so cold, snowy, and I paid for 8 weeks. So, against my better judgment I have continued to go to the gym even though I don't need to recover any longer. I ran outside Sunday and it was 13 degrees so I have not lost my ability to tolerate the elements. It just sounds really nice most mornings to stay warm, and I know it will be all over in 5 weeks.


Todays run:
1 hour @7.3 MPH, covering 7.3 miles. Which is not accurate at all, but I guess if I don't like it I should just go outside, now shouldn't I?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jason, Great blog! After reading your post on being a runner, I feel like a wimp. I've been running since 1997 and I just can't stand it when it gets below freezing. I have a problem with the wind burn. If you don't mind my asking, how old are you? I'm 47 and I am thinking of training for my first half-marathon. Thanks
Tim -- If you want to email me directly, you can at tabeck@verizon.net