Saturday, January 31, 2009

Very Cold



3 degrees with a wind chill of negative 6, now that is cold. I took off at about 6:40 AM this morning for my long run of the week. I was hoping for 15 miles but I knew that would be a stretch. Unfortunately not only was it cold but I had to run probably 90% of the run on snow and ice. You can see in the picture what the streets looked like this morning. It was far better then Wednesday morning, but still took a lot more effort than clear streets. I also included a couple of pics of me. That stuff on my head is not snow, it is frozen sweat. Also notice the icicle hanging from my chin, that is from my breath going into my balaclava. I had it up over my nose for about half of the run, but eventually I began to feel claustrophobic breathing through a piece of material. As you can see I completely lost my peripheral vision because of the ice build-up on my eye lashes. I am ready for it to warm up. I love the challenge of the cold, but I feel that my runs are suffering from it.

Today's Run:
10 Miles

This Weeks's Total Miles:
39.5 Miles

January Total Miles:
80.3

4 comments:

Glenn Jones said...

Brrr! Looks cold! Better warm it up dude. I have to go back to Cleveland from sunny Southern California in two weeks.

Anne said...

OK, now you know not to touch the eyelashes until they've thawed, right? I used to live in Alaska and New England and remember losing more than time on sub-freezing runs. Good for you getting out there though!

Pat said...

OHh, that looks cold. I was complaining becuase it was 40 degrees the other day at 6 am.

the pig sounds like a great marathon. I grew up in Cincy. You're gonna love it.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Mel Loughery said...

I give you a lot of credit!! I can't bring myself to run outside this season!! Good for you!! Good luck in your training!