Sunday, August 30, 2009

Another Long Run...Successful

Yesterday I set out to run 15 miles as a part of ramping up my weekly long run for the marathon. Today marks 7 weeks until the big day so I really don't have a lot of time left. It was in the low 60's but the humidity was about 100%. I have discovered that high humidity is harder for me to run in than heat. I was not 3 miles into the run when thoughts of quiting started to enter my head. I had weighed myself before I left and then again upon my return to discover that I lost 4 lbs during the run. I took water along and drank all 20 oz. My clothes have never been so wet. My shorts were completely soaked and I felt like I was running in a pair of swimming trunks.

Instead of focusing on miles I decided to go until I hit 2:07:30, or 15 miles, if I were running at a 8:30 pace. Well, I made it. I think I might have actually run a little slower then 8:30 but I was out in the humidity and I endured. That was the first time I had run over 2 hours without stopping since the marathon in May. Next week will be 17 miles. I think I will run for 2:27:30, hopefully that is over 17.

4 comments:

Marlene said...

Humidity is a killer. 20-oz would not be nearly enough for me over a two hour run. I'd drink at least double.

Good job getting it done!

Glenn Jones said...

I agree with Marlene. I easily go through 40 plus ounnces in 16 miles. And tat's running here in Southern California where we have no humidity.

Lindsay said...

humidity is such a drag. i hate the soaked-clothes feeling afterwards.

but, nice job on the long run! sounds like things are going well :)

Tony said...

Certain days it takes getting over a milage hump before you feel confident enough to continue. Nice job.