Sunday, August 23, 2009

Ramping up

I am in a very slow progression of adding to my long run. Caution has become my new matto, and I want to make sure I do everything I can to stay healthy this time. Today, I was hoping for 13. I had not measured the route before hand and ended up only running 12.54. It was in the upper 50's when I started and it was amazing. Since route plans had not been made I just set out to see what happened. I am surrounded by a lot of pretty big hills and I wanted a pretty flat run. A wrong turn early in the run meant that I ran 4 big hills and a number of smaller ones. A couple of the big hills have an extremely steep grade, I am not sure but I would say between 4% to 6%. So the hills alone made it a very good workout. It was very relaxed the entire time. There was never a time when I thought I needed to stop or even considered it. The first 8 or 9 miles must have been pretty slow because I ran the last 3 or 4 pretty fast and still only averaged 8:22. Overall I fell very good about the workout. Next weekend will be 15 miles.

12.54 miles
1:44:05
8:22 pace

4 comments:

Marlene said...

Sounds like a great day for a run. Nice job!

Hua said...

Hello [Name]

Congratulations on your previous marathon. It sounds like your training for the next one is going well. It is great to read about how far you have come. You are really close to attaining your goal and I am sure you will get there.

With your blog, I feel that you can help those who seek knowledge and encouragement about Marathons on Wellsphere.com, which currently receives over 6 million visitors a month. Wellsphere.com has a large and growing HealthBlogger community of over 2,600 bloggers who motivate and support each other.

Feel free to check out the HeathBlogger Network at http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger or email me at hua [at] wellsphere [dot] com.

Keep Blogging/Keep up the good work,
Hua
Director of Blogger Networks

AZ said...

Sounds like a nice run.

Josh said...

Hope your runs go well this weekend. Sounds like you're doing this training really smart. The slow miles today will pay off huge later!