Thursday, August 13, 2009

Why I Love Running

This week I have been on vacation. Tiffany and I went away for a couple of nights and the rest of the time we have just been staying at home with the kids doing lots of fun stuff. We have been having so much fun that I have not been running because I don't want to miss out.

Last night Tiffany got tired at 10:00 and said she had to go on to bed. I decided it was an opportunity to get a run in. So I laced up and set out for a run, having no idea what kind of mileage or time I was shooting for. After running about 1/2 mile, I knew I was going to run my 9 mile out and back. I was feeling really good after the first mile that clocked about 7:45. I began to pick up the pace a little and was feeling great. Just after 2 miles there is a big hill that I just seemed to float up. If you can get into a good rhythm going up a hill then when you get to the top it feels so easy. I reached the halfway point in 33:15, or just under a 7:30 pace. I knew at this point that I would be breaking my 9 mile record of 1:07:30. I did not really push it, but just ran what was comfortable. That made it more enjoyable, but I am pretty sure I could have put the hammer down and shaved some more time. My final time was 1:05:12, or about 7:15 pace. I think that is the fastest pace I have run anything over about 6 miles. It is so much fun to run at a pace like that, especially when it is that easy. I have no idea where that run came from, but I am not questioning it for now.

8 comments:

Marlene said...

Maybe a little break was just what you needed! Nice run!

Anonymous said...

wow! great job; sounds like it was a blast too.

Glenn Jones said...

Sometimes a little break is what the ole' body (and mind) needs!

AZ said...

That's a great run; gotta feel good.

Thanks for visiting my blog. It's a little more updated now.

Josh said...

Nice job Jason! Way to motivate and get a PR. Taking a little rest is never easy for me, but most of the time that I do let myself, it pays off.

Lindsay said...

speedy! really nice job on the run, glad it was all just flowing so nicely. sounds like the 'vacation' was fun and paid off for the legs!

macnic said...

Awesome. Great time for so late at night too. Were you able to wind down and sleep after?

Tony said...

Those are the best runs