Saturday, July 18, 2009

I love Bricks


Today I set out for my first real brick workout. I have done a couple of pretty easy ones where I got off and ran a mile or two but today I wanted to take it up a notch. I started out by riding my bike 28.1 miles. I choose a really hilly course so my time was not great, I think an average speed of 17.4 or so. Then I got off the bike, took about a minute to take my helmet and gloves off and gulp down a little water.

I took off for a 10K. It is a really weird feeling running after being on the bike for an hour and a half. At first it feels like your legs are going to give out. It also feels like you are barely moving. I knew from a previous run off the bike that you totally loose the ability to know your pace. I would have said I was running a 9 minute mile, instead my first mile was 7:20. I knew I needed to slow down a little bit but still managed to maintain a pace of 7:39 for the 10K.

The entire workout took about 2:25 minutes. That was my first workout that long since the marathon. It felt great, and I have felt a since of accomplishment all day because of it.

If only I could have swam .93 miles to start the workout I could have gotten an Olympic distance triathlon in this morning.

2 comments:

Marlene said...

Great workout! I have run once or twice after a spin class (unofficial brick?) and it's hard getting those legs going.

Lindsay said...

good lord! a 7:20 pace after biking! i can barely hit that in a just-run!! amazing, just amazing.