Monday, September 7, 2009

Back to Back semi long runs

Well, the plan called for 17 on Saturday. I decided to get up with my family and run when my son went down for a nap. This meant that I would be leaving about 4 hours later then usual. Unfortunately, it also meant it would be close to 20 degrees warmer. I started about 10:40am and it was already in the low 70's, with a humidity of around 90%. The first three miles I was feeling pretty good and was averaging under 8:00 per mile, too fast for a long run. About 5 miles in I really started fading. By 9 miles I was in a lot of pain and my muscles started shutting down. I held on until 10 and had to start walking. After some walking I ran about another mile and called it a day. Besides the heat I think my sore throat from earlier in the week was the main reason I did not run well. Since I had a sore throat I had not been eating nearly as much as I usually do. I think that finally caught up with me on Saturday.

The good news is that I ate a lot on Saturday and prepared for another run on Sunday. I started about 6:30, so it had only be 20 hours since my last run. I ran 9 miles at about a 7:54 pace and it felt great. It is very important to me not to have two horrible runs in a row, that can really get to you mentally. Fortunately, I was able to run well on Sunday and make up for the shameful performance on Saturday. Monday is a day off and then I will be back to it on Tuesday. Next Saturday will hopefully go better and I will be going for 18 miles.

1 comment:

Josh said...

Not only did you make up Saturday with a great run on Sunday - you recovered quickly and were able to run really well on tired legs. Keep that in mind during your next long run when your legs start feeling heavy and I bet you'll push right through it!