Monday, September 14, 2009

An exciting day

Yesterday was an exciting day. I have been running off and on for the last 20 years and I am proud to announce that I finally, after all this time, lost my first toe nail. Two weeks ago during my 15 mile run I could feel that my toe was hurting a little, but just a little. I took my shoe off after the run to discover my toe nail in a dark shade of purple. At that point I figured it was a lost cause. After talking to a co-worker I decided to cut it back some. When I did it relieved some pressure and the next day it was actually looking pretty good. I started to think maybe it was going to be okay. For the next week or so it seemed to be getting its color back and was looking more like my other toes. Then I ran 18 miles on Saturday, it did no hurt at all but when I took my shoe off it was as white as could be. Yesterday, I went to cut it back some and discovered it was just hanging there ready to be cut completely off. Perhaps the most surprising thing about he entire process is that it has barely hurt at all. I always thought losing a toe nail would be a pretty painful endeavor, perhaps for some it is. What I can say is that I am so proud, like a kid losing his first tooth. I thought about leaving it under my pillow, but I would guess the nail fairy is kind of creepy.

Today's Run:
5 Miles
40:26
8:00 Pace

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love when my toenails fall off; they are so much more painful when they just want to come off. once they're off, i'm in heaven

Marlene said...

Haha, congratulations... I think?

AZ said...

Another runner's rite of passage; way to go.

Mark said...

Take heart! It'll grow back! LOL!