Saturday, February 14, 2009

Another long run in the books

Today's long run was a little disappointing after last weeks run. This week was only 13.55 miles and the pace was 8:19. It was tough from the start. My right hip was popping, something that concerned me because that has been the source of a previous injury. My hip got better, but I felt sluggish most of the run. On a positive note, I logged another long run and I did it on a very hilly course.

For the first time, I tried one of those gels during my run. The best way to describe it was a cross between tooth paste and yogurt. With that said, it really wasn't too bad and I definitely think it helped give me some fuel to keep me going. I also probably drank 14 to 16 oz. of water, through my camelbak. I often wonder what cars passing by think of the blue straw sticking out of my jacket.

I have been having conflicting thoughts about the upcoming Monday challenge. This week it went really well, but I paid for it later. The next day I ran 7 easy miles and felt pretty good, but later that day my calves just locked up and my hips were pretty sore. I had to take the day after that off. I want to really push the pace a couple of times a week, but I don't want to push myself right into an injury. I must say that I am also pretty sick of the treadmill and really enjoy the runs outside. I try my best to adapt my training as I go and I think I might need to forgo this weeks Monday challenge to keep moving in the right direction. If I workout so hard one day that I have to take an unplanned day off, which is what happened this week, then I don't think it is worth it. I think what I really need to focus on is some consistency.

Today's Run:
13.55 miles
1:52:40
Pace 8:19 (slow)

Week total:
38.8

3 comments:

Glenn Jones said...

Wow - still a great workout!

Ms. V. said...

Awesome workout. I just don't understand how to use the gels when I run, or where to put them!

Lindsay said...

i'm glad you got in a 13 miler i just may log it as my own too since i slacked today. sounds like it was a good run to me!

i don't see a problem with 'shifting' your treadmill challenge. you definitely don't want to cause any setbacks for your real running/racing goals.