Monday, February 16, 2009

Making it work


For about a week I have been struggling with a sore ankle. Once again it is just a surface level injury. The outside of my left shoes have been poking repeatedly at my ankle bone and has caused me to have a sort of stone bruise. Yesterday morning the beginning of my run was excruciating. Each step sent a stabbing pain through my leg and foot.

As I was thinking about what to do, I decided to take an old shoe and cut the part of the shoe that was hitting my ankle. This morning I laced them up and went for my run. I am happy to say it went perfectly. I think a few days like that and I might be able to wear my shoes that are whole again.

I am also dealing with another nagging problem. Since early last week my left hip has been bugging me. During my long run it was really bad right at the beginning but seemed to get better. This morning I did not notice it much but during the day today it has been touch and go. Sometimes it feels like it is going to give out on me when I put weight on it. I had not planned to take another day off until Friday, but I will have to play that by ear. The thing that is really bothering me is that I think this all started when I pushed it so hard during the last Monday challenge. Sometimes I just don't know when to stop. I keep learning from my mistakes. Hopefully this will not slow me down by much.

5 comments:

Ms. V. said...

Dang. Just typed a long comment.

Short form: rest is sometimes good.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're doing well. As a Mom speaking, don't push yourself too much and get hurt enough to keep you from finishing your goal!!

Anonymous said...

i'm having hip problems too; mine is my right. Hope everything works out!

Lindsay said...

weird about the ankle-rubbing! glad it's nothing serious and can be easily solved though. no shame in cutting sneakers here - i cut the whole toe-cover part off once after ingrown toenail surgery so i could keep running! :)

hope the hip is nothing serious too - stretch, ice maybe? and listen to it when it needs a rest!

Josh said...

this running nonsense is tough on the body... why do we do it? I guess it has to do with that feeling when you're not in pain, which thankfully is most of the time. Good luck with the hip pain! Be careful.