Saturday, February 7, 2009

Long is back!!

8 weeks ago today, I ran 17 miles. Since then, my long runs had not been more than 10 miles. After my "injury", I had gone for two long runs and they both ended at 10 miles. I could not figure it out. For 7 straight Saturdays before the 17 miler, I had run at least 13.1, it had become old hat. On Saturdays I ran at least a 1/2 marathon every time. All the sudden, I became scared of the long run.
Well, I needed it today and I needed it bad. Not only physically, but also mentally. If I was not able to accomplish it today, it would have been crushing. The temperature was great, somewhere in the 40's which felt incredible. It was extremely windy however, so that made some of the run pretty difficult.
After about 4 miles, I knew I had it. Breaking the 10 mile barrier was going to be easy. I stopped at 15.9. I would have gone to 16 had I known I was that close, but I did not map the run until I got back. My pace was 7:52, which is a personal best for that kind of distance. Still 37 seconds off my desired marathon pace, but it seems like I should at least be close. My heart rate was great today, my legs just grew tired of the constant pounding. That is something they will get used to again very soon.
My first mile was 8:45 which I had learned is very important for me. I have to start out really slow and work into the pace. Next thing I know I am running 7:30s with virtually no effort.
Today was a huge day for me psychologically and I have been on cloud nine all day.

Today's Run:
15.9 Miles
2:05:00
7:52 Pace

Week total:
37.2

2 comments:

Glenn Jones said...

Wow! What a great workout! Congrats on going long.

Lindsay said...

nice job on the long run! taking it easy at 7:30s, i'm jealous! :)