Monday, February 2, 2009

For Sale: Previously Owned Gym Memberships...if you can get through the sales pitch.

The story of how I got my gym membership goes like this...I have mentioned before that we live on a budget and there was no room for a gym membership. However, I was not going to sacrifice all of my hard work. So I set out to find a great deal. There is a gym on my way to work that I knew would be perfect. When I say on my way to work, I mean all I have to do is turn into the parking lot. It is at the corner of an intersection where I already turn. It is a nice one and they have showers.

I called them up and was told month to month memberships were on sale for $40.00 plus an activation fee. I knew I wanted 6 to 8 weeks so that was going to be over $100, definitely not in the budget.

There are so many gym options where I live. Two of the places I called were more than $60 a month and you had to sign a contract. I also called two personal training gyms that don't typically allow you to just work out on your own. I led the conversation with the same line I had given all the other gyms. "I am an injured runner just looking for a place to do some cardio." They both said they would take me on a month to month basis, no contract and no activation fee. One was going to be for $25 per month, the other for $40. The problem was that neither of them have showers, which was not a great option because I wouldn't have time to come home and shower.

I decided to stop by the gym I originally wanted just to see. I went in and gave them my story about being an injured runner. They then gave me the tour. It's a nice place with a cardio cinema, spinning room, plenty of cardio equipment with individual cable televisions, and a nice locker room. I acted as though I was totally unimpressed. We proceeded to sit at a table and the guy who had shown me around went to get the manager. He sat down and all the sudden I felt as if I was in a used car dealership. He asked what I wanted and then began writing some numbers on a blank piece of paper. $30 a month for 2 months plus $30 activation fee was his first offer. I acted completely put off. I had already told him about the other two gyms so I said, "you are trying to compete with a gym that has offered to let me work out for two months for a total of $50, with a total cost here of $90? He then said, "I tell you what, we will put you on a weekly pass from now until March 1st, no contract, no activation fee, for a total of $35." SOLD!! I was at the gym the next morning. I am still not sure why he dropped from $90 to $35, but very happy that he did.

As for today at the gym, the 9 mph run was more difficult then I thought it would be, but I did make my goal of 15 minutes. I must admit that I was hurting at about the 4 1/2 minute mark.

Todays Run:
2 mile warm up, 2.25 miles at 9 MPH (all on the treadmill)

6 comments:

Glenn Jones said...

Just goes to show - *everything* is negotiable!

Southbaygirl said...

has the world come to when Gym guys are like used car guys! Scary-but what a great deal you got!!!

Anonymous said...

I was expected to hear some horror story about how you got totally ripped off, but was quite surprised. That's a pretty good deal that you got there, much better than what I have paid for in the past.

Michael said...

I actually used to work at a gym like this in sales. I hated giving the spiel as much as people hated going through it. Everything IS negotiable at most gyms.

Ms. V. said...

Wow. Gyms in the winter. They know, don't they.

Lindsay said...

wow! i need to try this out. when my previous membership ran out (last spring) i didn't renew (didn't really wanna pay $39/month anymore!) and i haven't joined another gym since. i, too, don't want another decent-sized monthly bill, i know they aren't too bad but in the end it's a few hundred a year! no thanks! so anyway, i need to go do this... glad you found a good gym that was willing to work with you.