Wednesday, May 13, 2009

5 mile repeats

Today I set out for 5 mile repeats with 1.5 minute rest. I started out with a 6:23, and then ran a 6:07. I started the third one and only made it about .25 miles then stopped. Instead of getting discouraged I just took about an 8 minute break and then ran a 6:14. Then I took a 2.5 minute rest and ran 6:11, then I took about 5 minutes and ran 5:52. So it was not exactly what I set out to run, but I also was not planning on averaging 6:10 per mile. All in all I was happy with the run.

Mile repeats is probably my favorite training day to be done with. I know it does a lot for me and I always feel a sense of accomplishment. I must say that I dread it when it is coming and don't aways enjoy it much during, but it is worth the return.


Mile Repeats
6:23
6:07
6:14
6:11
5:52

5 comments:

Marlene said...

Mile repeats are TOUGH! Way to get through it when you felt like quitting, and great splits!

Glenn Jones said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Glenn Jones said...

You are correct - mile intervals do more than anything to improve VO2Max. Just be careful you aren't running them too fast. According to Pfitz, they shoud be at 5K pace. Running them faster only builds lactic acid and reduces their effectiveness.

Lindsay said...

wow! check out those splits! speedster. way to tough it out when you didn't quite feel like it. makes the post-workout feeling even better :)

Ms. V. said...

Intervals bite, and I've only done them twice.

Don't listen to Glenn. (Kidding, he rocks)

You are crazy fast.