Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Recovery


I have read a lot about how important it is to get the proper food into your system after a hard workout. However, knowing what to do and putting it into practice are two totally different things, especially when it comes to food. I have experimented with several things before and after my workouts.

For a long time I did not eat anything before a workout and it seemed to go well. As I began running further, I felt like I needed more fuel. I started eating a breakfast bar and progressed to a small bowl of cereal. Leading up to the marathon that is what I did and I started to think that it was making my stomach hurt . Since the marathon, I have stopped eating before my runs again and it is going well.

What to eat after the run has been the much more difficult thing to figure out. Since I run in the morning, I have to stretch, shower, and then get to work. This makes it difficult to get a good meal in. For awhile, I was having a bowl of cereal while I checked my e-mail at work first thing. The problem with that is that it was typically about an hour and a half after the run. I know my body needs to be replenished sooner than that. The other problem with the cereal was a lack of protein. I did not feel that my muscles were getting the protein they needed to recover.

I just started trying something new. I have done it four times now and it seems to be working well. I got some protein and am making shakes. The great thing about a shake is you can eat it anywhere. So it works perfectly in the car on the way to work. It is also easier to get a big shake down than a big meal. The problem with it is the lack of carbs and calories. So to off set that I am adding what I can...milk instead of water, a banana, and some chocolate syrup. I try to stay away from sugars like syrup, but I can’t think of another way to add a bunch of carbs and calories. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Today’s run was a new record for me, 8 mile repeats. Each of these was done with 1:30 recovery. At some point, I plan to start cutting back my recovery time until I get it down to 1:00. I would also like to get up to 10 to 12 repeats. I have done that workout each week for the last 3 and I only did it twice leading up to the last marathon.

Today’s Run:
8 Mile repeats with 1:30 recovery, average pace 6:31
6:35
6:33
6:25
6:29
6:30
6:31
6:34
6:31

7 comments:

Ms. V. said...

One word: Oatmeal.

Oh, and 1 egg + 2 egg whites, scrambled.

Perfect, and takes no time in the microwave.

Glenn Jones said...

Is there a reason you are trying to cut back on recovery time? Your mile intervals are being done to help VO2Max right? If so, you want to make sure that you have recovered appropriately so that you don't accumulate lactate. Lactate accumulation will reduce the effectiveness of your overall workout. The normal recommendation (Pfitz, Daniels, etc.) is to jog/walk a 400 for recovery.

Marlene said...

I don't know how you can run without eating first. I always need to have something.

Great idea with the protein shake. I also second Ms V's oatmeal suggestion. You can do instant in the microwave in about a minute - protein & carbs! (you could still have your shake)Awesome job on the mile repeats!

Lindsay said...

peanut butter!!! good fats, carbs, cals.

before i discovered my allergy to peanuts, i LOVED pb/banana smoothie/shakes! so, pb as long as you aren't allergic too :)

nice job on the mile repeats! 12-13 sounds intimidating.

I Run for Fun said...

I love banana shakes. I indulge myself with icecream, on top of the banana, milk and sugar/honey. PB or almond butter is a great addition too.

SDrunner said...

Good job on keeping pace for all 8 mile repeats. I'm really bad at that.

Amy said...

I like to make a smoothie with protein powder, banana, frozen strawberries and yogurt. It's so good!

I use Ovaltine instead of chocolate syrup for chocolate shakes.