Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Winning the Battle

This morning I entered into an epic battle and came out glorious. The long weekend lent itself nicely to laziness. Saturday and Sunday I slept in until around 6:20, and both days I managed to catch a short nap. Monday was my day off from running and I slept in until about 7:15. This morning, however the alarm was set for 5:30 again. After a day off, I knew it was very important to quickly get back into my routine, no room for backsliding.
I awoke on my own in what I thought was the middle of the night. A look over to the alarm clock filled me with immediate disgust as I saw it read 5:20. Immediately I began to search for excuses. Internal battles are interesting and trying to find excuses for myself is much the same except I know the full truth. There is nothing to embellish or hide. I can’t tell myself that I didn’t really sleep that well or that I don’t really want to run, I know the truth.
I decided not to get up yet, but to instead get what enjoyment I could out of the last 10 minutes of sleep or lying in bed. At 5:30, the alarm went off. I got up to turn it off and on my way kept thinking about hitting the snooze. I thought maybe I had it coming since I woke up 10 minutes too early, perhaps I deserved an extra 10 minutes of sleep. Well, that was just foolish so I turned it off.
Walking in a half daze I sat in the chair in our room, not ready to accept the fact that I was going to transition from a comfortable sleep to a hot and tiring run. I just sat there actually trying to come up with an excuse. Maybe my heel was hurting, I thought to myself. I began to press on my heel with my thumb. I am ashamed to say that I was actually hoping it would hurt some so I could write the day off as a needed recovery day. Nothing, not even a hint of pain radiated from the vigorous rubbing of my thumb. After a few minutes of sitting there, the lazy me, the me that has been feeling pretty defeated lately, hung his head in shame. The me that has ambitions and dreams beyond sleep had won and was ready to run.

Todays Run:
7 miles easy
56:00

6 comments:

Marlene said...

You got out there and did it! Awesome.

Amy said...

I have to say, this was a good read. The honest, mental fight you had with yourself is shared by SO many other morning runners. I'm glad you overcame the temptations and had a nice run!

Billy said...

ah, sounds too familiar. Glad you won this time!

Glenn Jones said...

Way to beat the beast!

(That's why I run in the evenings....)

Lindsay said...

haha. i've semi-hoped for an ache or twinge to justify a rest day. i've probably given in to them a few times even :) nice job getting out there, i bet you don't regret having gone for your run!

Ms. V. said...

Great job. It's so much better to have a day where your run is done, than to wait for it after work. Ugh.