Sunday, May 3, 2009

Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon Race Report







The marathon chewed me up and spit me out. Let me just start by saying that I have a new respect for the distance of the marathon, the hills of Cincinnati, and the training it requires to do well.

How it started...

Yesterday my wife and I went down to the city for the expo. We had a great time and I got my shirt, bib, timing chip, and various other things. While we were there I talked to the pacers. The 3:30 pacer was not there, but I learned his name was Roger. I planned to try to catch up with him at the starting line and find out what his strategy was.

Tiffany and I got home around 7:30 and I spent awhile getting everything ready. At around 10:00 we went to bed. I tossed and turned and ended up only getting 2 hours of sleep. Last night was one of the hardest parts of the entire marathon. There were times when I thought I would not be getting any sleep at all. I was so stressed out that I was going to be running a marathon after staying up all night.

At 4:30 Tiffany woke me up telling me my alarm had gone off, I was so confused because I had dreams that I slept through the marathon and thought that was reality.

By 5:00 my dad and I were on the road down to Cincinnati.

By 6:05 I was at the starting line. That is when I caught up with Roger. I asked what he hoped to run the first few miles at and he said right on pace. I decided at that point to start out with the 3:40 pacer. So I tucked in next to him and waited for the gun to go off. At this point my nerves were down and I was ready to run. The gun went off and I was going.

Now for as close as I can get to the mile by mile report...

Mile 1 8:37 -Just off pace for 3:40, it was really difficult to navigate through the crowd.
Mile 2 7:49 - I already decided to leave the 3:40 pacer. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid!!!
Mile 3 7:53 - Feeling good, but knowing I was running too fast too early.
Mile 4 8:02 - I had finally slowed back down to goal pace, but in reality I had gone up and over a large bridge so it was still too fast.
Mile 5 7:45 - Just getting caught up in the atmosphere. I had no business running this fast.
Mile 6 8:05 - Started going up some serious hills. I was passing a lot of people and the adrenaline was flowing.
Mile 7 8:39 - Up a huge hill. Finally running smarter though.
Mile 8 8:17 - Still going up hill, but running at a more manageable pace.
Mile 9 8:07 - Getting back to goal pace.
Mile 10 8:11 - Really starting to feel it.
Mile 11 7:33 - Not being smart again. I was just behind the 3:30 pacer for a while around mile 6 and I was trying to reel him back in.
Mile 12 8:29 - I was paying for the 7:33.
Mile 13 9:00 - Starting to unravel.
Mile 14 8:44 - Holding onto hope for a 3:40 and realizing 3:30 was now done.
Mile 15 9:06 - Still out in front of the 3:40 pacer and doing my best to keep it that way.
Mile 16 12:51 - I walked!! I still can't believe that I had to walk. The reality is that I walked a bunch the rest of the way. When I started walking, I thought it would just be for a couple of minutes and I would start running strong again. That was not what happened. The rest of the race is pretty embarrassing and very demoralizing, but here it is...
Mile 17 8:37 - I ran the entire mile but it really hurt.
Mile 18 12:40 - There was a decent amount of walking. Since I had not planned on walking I really had no strategy for walking and probably walked more then I needed to.
Mile 19 11:23 - A little less walking, but walking none the less.
Mile 20 9:18 - I actually ran an entire mile again.
Mile 21 12:00 - Emotionally it was really starting to get to me as I realized that the rest of the race was going to be like this.
Mile 22 12:32 - More walking.
Mile 23 13:33 - I started out this mile running for 4 minutes. When I stopped, I could barely walk. I was actually concerned that I might not finish for a minute. But I hobbled for a couple of minutes and it slowly started coming back.
Mile 24 14:41 - Much more walking then running.
Mile 25 11:52 - Was able to pull it back together a little knowing the end was near.
Mile 26.2 12:22 - Which equates to a 10:18 pace. Of course I pulled it together to run the last half and cross the finish line.

Total 4:16:18 46 minutes behind goal

There was a time during the collapse that I was so disappointed that I started thinking I might never run again. I have since regained my composure and I have chalked my poor time up to a few things. Lack of weekly mileage, which I will share more of in a future post (It was actually just my legs that kept me from doing well, I seemed to be in great cardio shape, and despite the side stitches I had over the last week of training, I did not have any during the marathon.). Lack of sleep. Starting out way too fast on a course that climbs 500 feet from miles 5-8. Not getting enough calories in before the run.

I am already ready to do another one and can't wait to get back out and running again. I will be running a fall marathon. I will break 3:30 easily next time. After this week, which I plan to take pretty easy, I will have 24 weeks to train. This time I will show some respect.

I want to say thank you to Tiffany, my wife, who has put up with a lot of early alarm clocks, a lot of long Saturday runs, and a lot of talk about running. She has been amazingly supportive and she makes chasing this dream possible.

12 comments:

Lindsay said...

great pics! congrats on your first marathon. sounds like you struggled a little with the mental game, but it's ok. you survived and hopefully still had a fun time. i guess i thought you were running more than you really were if you say your weekly mileage wasn't where it should be? anyway, i know you will learn many lessons from this as i did mine, and i know you have speed in you to come back and chop minutes off your time. enjoy some time off, listen to your body. what's next? :)

Lindsay said...

hey jason, it says this is lindsay but it's actually carlos.

thanks for the reports and good job. i know how different the real thing can be.

please do follow up with some tips for the rest of us.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the race report. sorry you didn't get the time you were hoping for, but I can tell you're going to be super smart about the next one. Any ideas for your fall?

Doug said...

Regardless of your time, it's still an awesome accomplishment to complete a marathon!!! Glad to hear it didn't get you down to not hit your goal, and you're going to keep up your running and do another one in the fall. Way to go, man!

Unknown said...

Great job! There is always so much to learn from a race. Glad that you're up for another race!

Beth said...

I'm still very, very proud of you!!!

Mel Loughery said...

Congratulations!! Awesome job, even if you didn't hit your goal, you did it!!

Mel Loughery said...

Congratulations! Awesome job, even if you didn't hit your goal time, you went out there and did it! Fantastic run!

Ms. V. said...

Well, there you are. I'm excited your race report is already in! I still have no idea which race, but somewhere in Ohio. Heh.

It sounds almost identical to my first half. Once I started walking, the mental challenge really kicked me in the teeth.

You'll do it next time. For sure. Congrats!

Jen Feeny said...

Great job despite it all! I've only recently started following your blog but I was routing for you! Thanks for sharing the race report!!! Getting over the mental hurdles, I think, are the hardest part of the runs. Believe in yourself and the rest of the run is just fun! Good job!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jason! Congrats on finishing your first marathon! The important thing is that you didn't give up, you kept going and FINISHED the race! I'm a very proud mother-in-law!

Adam said...

Great pics. I'm proud of you.