Thursday, May 7, 2009

Things To Note

While I was walking parts of the marathon I realized I was really out of my element. If I ever have to stop during a workout I call it a day and end the workout. I might have to walk a ways to get home but I rarely start running again. I just chalk it up to a bad day and tell myself I will make up the miles in another workout. Well, that certainly did not prepare me for what I encountered in the later parts of the marathon. When I stop running my body is used to a stretch and a shower. This go around I am going to change things. Of course I have no intentions of ever walking during a marathon again but I will be prepared if it does happen. Now if I am not having a good workout I will stop but I will start again. Of course more interval work will help with this as well. Not only will these things teach my body to keep going when its tired, they will also cause me to get more out of my workouts.

New to the blog is my training history. You can now see my last few runs, as well as my week and month totals. All compliments of Runner's World where I log my workouts. Hopefully having those there will hold me more accountable.

My legs are still hurting, but are really starting to make their way back to normal. The plan is to run tomorrow morning for the first time since the marathon. There is really no distance on the agenda, just whatever feels good. I can't wait to get back out for another long run. Depending on how I feel I might put up double digit miles on Sunday, which will be the beginning of my 23 week plan. I am anxious.

3 comments:

matpedw said...

Saw your runners world post. Congrats on your first marathon. Your mileage wasn't as bad as you think. 23 weeks is a long time to maintain big miles. I think the last 12-14 weeks are the really important ones to remain consistant and heavily devoted. I would make sure your mentally fresh going into to that stretch. Keep it loose and fun until then. If you're really amped up now then you might want to consider a marathon 12-14 weeks out. I think you could go sub 3:30 then too. Either way best of luck, you'll get it!

Lindsay said...

ahh yes, the mental aspect of the game. some training days you do need to pull back and give yourself rest, but not all. sometimes it's hard for me to determine if i am wimping out and saying "oh i don't want to overtrain and risk injury" or if i am being smart and giving my body some needed rest. basically, don't beat yourself up everyday.

in the meantime, take it easy for a week or two - no pressure. you need to recover from this 26.2 before you can attack another!

Ms. V. said...

Congrats again. I was at my training on Wednesday night in NORTHERN CA, mind you...and this guy says that he ran a half this weekend! I'm like, where?

Flying Pig.

Weird huh?

Hey, you did a great job, and your blog is fun to follow, since I'm currently training for my first marathon too. I have to learn how to walk and start again too.

Press on.