Thursday, May 21, 2009

Early is the key

The last week and a half of training has been phenomenal. My motivation has been up, I have gotten a lot of miles in and they have been good miles. The key to this recent success has been my wake up time and refusal to use the snooze. I woke up the last 4 days at 5:30, and did the same 3 days last week. I am not going to lie, it has been really difficult. However, I did not give myself a choice. The thoughts about going back to bed entered my mind, but they were not entertained. Thoughts how nice it would be to sleep entered my head but then I would think about how disappointed I would be to cave after only a few days.
The exhaustion was tough to handle for about the first week. I think my body was just not use to getting up that early. The last two days have been much better, and I am hoping that trend will continue. I think that getting up at the same time everyday is imperative. My hope is that my body will adjust to that time and I will naturally start to feel awake that early. The other huge advantage is that my workouts are not rushed. Getting up that early gives me plenty of time to get my workout in, stretch, shower, and get to work. I did 9 easy miles the other day and had time to spare. I used to base my wake-up time on my workout. Then I would snooze and have to shorten my workout to accommodate. Well, we see where that got me last time. My biggest struggle over the last three years or so with my running has been consistency. I think I am finally on to something that is going to change all of that.

Today's Run
4 Miles Fartlek
2 x 9 sec hill spints (more on that later)
1 Mile Cooldown

Yesterday's Run
7.3 Miles Easy (oops)
7:33 Pace

7 comments:

matpedw said...

Sounds like you're firing on all cyclinders. I'll have to try that no snooze trick. I struggle terribly in the mornings.

Which marathon are you aiming for?

Marlene said...

Great job keeping up with the earlier mornings! I'm sure your internal clock will adjust and it will get easier and easier. Great workouts!

Lindsay said...

well whenever you want to feel better about getting up to workout at 5:30... just think about how that's when i have to be finishing mine in order to get ready for work! :) now doesn't that make you feel like you are sleeping in. 'cause it ought to!

it is tough to get in the routine, but as long as you enforce a bed time and put your feet on the floor shortly after your alarm goes off - it's manageable. glad it's going well so far - keep defying the alarm clock and tempting bed!

Amy said...

I'm always amazed when runners can get up so early! But really we have no choice once the weather gets hot. I run at 7 a.m. because of coaching but that still feels really early to me!

Glenn Jones said...

The best thing about getting up early - once your body gets used to it, sleeping until 6:30 on weekend is so refreshing - and you still have the whole day ahead of you.

Normal wake up time for me - 4:30 AM. But I'm on the West Coast with a lot of East Coast customers.

Billy said...

I struggle daily with that too. Lately, it's been 50/50 on which one wins over - running or sleep.

Keep at it man.

Beth said...

What is fartlek?