Sunday, May 17, 2009

New Workout

Today's workout was something new for me from the Run Faster book. It was a progression run. The book uses these runs in a lot of different ways, but the premise is always the same. Start slow and build, or shift to a different speed. For instance he might have you run a long run, 14 miles easy and then 3 at marathon goal pace. Today I started with 4.5 miles at 8 min pace. I was really excited to be able to maintain that slower pace for that long and it felt really good. It was fun to just take it easy and enjoy the run for a while. Then I switched gears and ran the last 2.8 miles in 19:15 or a 6:52 pace. It is amazing how much easier it is for me to run at a pace like that if I start out slow. I think it was actually easier for me to run that last 2.8 miles then it would have been if I had just run that 2.8 miles by itself.

Anyway, I am a fan of the progression run after today. I think it allows you to get the miles in and run at a fast pace without completely draining yourself. I also think it teaches you to pick up the pace when you are fatigued. I will continue to use that workout and try some of the different ways it is suggested in the book. More attempts at consistency and variance to come.

5 comments:

Glenn Jones said...

That's often a strategy used on longer races like Half Marathons. Start slow and conserve, and then turn it on at mile 10. Too bad I'm usually spent by then...

Glad you enjoyed it.

Lindsay said...

i like progression runs when i do them well :) lol. they're definitely good for pushing the legs even more when you are already tired. keep it up!

Amy said...

I love progression runs! It just feels so good to finish a run on a strong note.

Unknown said...

Thank you for such good information.......If you love to workout, just like me......Please check out the blogs mentioned below, its really informative !!!!..... check it out m sure you'll love it.

http://staysharpwithworkouts.blogspot.com

Sara said...

in my last training cycle i tried to turn my long runs into progression runs, at least the last few miles. i think it really helped out at my last marathon, where my last 3+ miles were a progression run of their own. pretty awesome. then again, i probably went out too slowly, but i wanted to err on the side of being safe and get my BQ :)