Friday, May 8, 2009

Back out there

Today was my first day back since the marathon. I just went out to run a little and see how it felt. It went better then I had expected. I ran 3 miles in 22:15, or about 7:25 pace. I then walked a little and then ran another 1/2 mile at about the same pace. My legs hurt a little during the 1/2 mile at the end, but overall it went well. However, my legs have felt really tired all day today so they are obviously not back. I will be taking tomorrow off and then will be back for Sunday.

I want to thank all of you who have commented on my posts, it is very encouraging. I think about my blogging friends when I am running and it gives me that extra push I need. I am trying to do better with my running and blogging and all the comments and viewings of my blog really help in both areas.

Lindsay asked me in a comment if I follow any type of training plan. Well, yes and no. Probably around last October I got a book at the library titled Run Faster by Brad Hudson. I read most of it and then had to return it. For Christmas my wife purchased the book for me. I adopted a few of the things he suggested but was not consistent with them. I think it is full of some really good stuff and this time plan to follow it much more closely. I hope to share some of the things he suggests on the blog as I do them.



In case you are wondering Brad Hudson is a current day coach and he trains some of the nations best distance runners. Most notably Dathan Ritzenhein who placed 10th in the 2008 Olympic Marathon.

6 comments:

Marlene said...

Hey Jason! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Congratulations on your recent first marathon! I just back-tracked a little to read your report and I have to say, I had a very similar first marathon experience. Went out too fast and paid for it through the entire second half, finishing about 40 minutes slower than I hoped.

Still, I hope you came out of the experience with as much as I did. Good to see you on the road again already. Just take it slow! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi! My first marathon experience was a disaster. I finished, but it sucked the life out of me and I was way off the time I thought I would finish! It happens as long as you learn what you are doing wrong or areas which you need improvement it is all good. Needless to say after 3 marathons I am still figuring it all out. My main issue of fueling during the race. I have great training runs, but choke during the marathon. I am getting better! I am not a distance runner, rather I played team sports my whole life so this whole running thing is taking me time to learn. Good luck with the training for the next one.

X-Country2 said...

Thanks for swinging by my blog. Your marathon story was super interesting. (Cute pic too!)

Marathons are no joke. That's why most people don't even try it-- much less finish. :o)

Matt said...

Thanks for stopping my blog!

Congrats on your first marathon. I've signed up for my first one in October (Chicago) and I am pretty pumped!

Lindsay said...

man 7:25 pace after a marathon and some rest. i'd be huffing and puffing :) good luck incorporating hudson's plans/ideas and sticking to them better! i gotta work on that theory myself with my training plan... glad your legs are recovering quickly!

I Run for Fun said...

Thanks for stopping by!

I am reading that book too. I find it really interesting, and some of what it says contradicts with what I've always believed. Look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.