Monday, May 11, 2009

No Choice In The Matter

Tomorrow is a prescribed day off. I am making myself take tomorrow off in an effort to fully recover from the marathon. I am feeling pretty good and I ran 13 miles in the last 2 days. However, I want to be sure I am fully rested for what is to come. I plan to have one more of these days on Friday, but we will see how it goes.

I am sure that a lot of people out there think it is crazy and not smart to run everyday. However, I have learned from experience that taking a day off can, way too easily, lead to more days off. The reason for this is simple, you give yourself a choice. I am sure if you talk to anyone who has a serious streak going they will tell you they have no choice but to run. To break their streak would be crazy, it would take something out of their control. However for someone who runs 5 days a week it is really not that big of a deal to run 4, or so you tell yourself. I would like to take the happy medium, but, I am afraid it would lead to more days off. So after this second week of recovering I don’t have too many planned days off. I will just have to make sure that I have easy days that simulate a day off.

I have got to get myself into the habit of running regularly, and eliminate the struggle I put myself through in the morning to get up and out there. Once I do that I will be able to focus more on the runs themselves . Wednesday and Thursday I will be up at 5:30, no snooze.

3 comments:

Glenn Jones said...

Rest days are *very* important. Push your body too hard and you will certainly end up injured. Not to mention that a structured training plan required rest days for recovery purposes. To not rest reduces the effectiveness of future workouts. So take the prescribed rest days! And stop feeling guilty! It's the unscheduled rest days that are the problems.

Marlene said...

I don't run every day, but I don't allow myself two days off in a row (except after a marathon!). That's how I keep myself focused and prevent a rest day from multiplying.

Lindsay said...

hopefully you can find a happy medium! rest days are very important. listen to your body! i know you (/anyone) can run for days and days, but the key is to listen to your body and give it rest when it needs it. maybe don't plan for an off day necessarily, but if you are tired or achy - scratch an easy day. i know the feeling on the domino effect of off-days, but i think when you get in a groove and challenging training plan you will welcome an off day.