Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Lessons from the race

I have had some time to think about the marathon and I still can't believe how much differently it went than I expected. Partially I think I had unreal expectations based on my training, which I promise to share more about soon. Next I think it had a lot to do with doubt, nerves, and race day strategy.

I have already shared that I think I went out too fast. I think if I would have slowed the pace down and stuck with the 3:40 pacer I could have held out for several more miles before walking. I now know that the longer you can hold out before walking the better. Of course I hope to never walk in a marathon again. If I would have known how hard it was going to be to start running again, I think I could have kept going for a couple more miles. Instead I convinced myself that walking was going to rejuvenate me and get me going again. It just messed with my head and made it that much harder to keep going.

I know that the demoralizing effect of walking had a lot to do with my time. When you start to realize you are not going to come close to your goal, what's another 5 minutes, if it means you can be more comfortable. If I would have been close to my goal, then of course I would have dug deep and found the will to keep going. That is the importance of setting obtainable goals.

My legs hurt more then I could have ever imagined. Which really surprises me since they did not really bother me after my 20 mile run, in which I ran the entire time. It has been almost 60 hours since the finish and I can still barely make it up and down the stairs. I think most of that has to do with my training. However, I think the lack of sleep and lack of food before the race also contributed. Before the next marathon I will eat more then a bowl of cheerios 2 hours before the start. Milk, raisins and all I probably got about 300 calories. I think a little more fuel would have really helped.

Those are just a few of the things I learned from this marathon. I will share more as they come to me. I love being a student of this sport and am amazed at how much I continue to learn.

I am debating between 3 marathons for the fall. Indianapolis, Louisville, and Columbus. I will probably register soon. I am much more excited about the 2nd then I was the 1st.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

i walked a lot in my first marathon too - i was such a newbie! (longest run was maybe 14 miles...) my goal for my 2nd marathon was to run the whole time, and of course i still had my ridiculous time goal (missed, again). now that your first is over with, you have gained so much wisdom from the experience. you know what you need to draw upon mentally the next time around. the 'lessons' you mentioned so far are all true and important ones to learn. i think the post-race soreness is typical? my legs are always super stiff and sore for a few days after anyway. i have no doubt you will rock whatever marathon is next!

i just 'discovered' the louisville oct marathon too and am considering it! :)

Glenn Jones said...

Sounds like you learned a lot in your first marathon. I've only run one myself, but after my experience I'm from the camp that no one should set a time goal in their first marathon. There is just so much that I didn't know.

I'm glad to see that you are picking yourself up off the rug and getting your mind in shape for your nect one!